Event Photographer. Restore Park Habitat. Sew. Camp Counselor. Play Games with Seniors. Teach A Language. Test Hardware. Read to Kids.
There are countless benefits and opportunities that can be a result of volunteering in the community. Not only can it be a great resume builder, it’s also a great way to improve your quality of life. 94% of youth ages 8-21 said they want to be part of making the world a better place but only 55% of them actively try. By volunteering, you can be a part of the change, and make the world a better place.
Check out these other benefits to volunteering:
• Volunteering in your community reduces stress and depression, which has been linked to healthier, longer lives.
• Scholarship providers and colleges look for community driven students that stand out against other applicants. You can even get scholarships
just for being a volunteer!
• Students who volunteer have a 27% higher chance of finding employment after graduation than students who do not.
There are a few things you'll need to consider if you want to volunteer under the age of 18. Use these tips to have a successful volunteer experience:
- Agencies want to hear from YOU, and not a parent, about why you're interested in their volunteer opportunity.
- Focus on opportunities that accept youth volunteers (Use the 'advanced search' option). While all agencies love using volunteers, some are required by law to have a minimum age requirement for participation.
- Schedule flexibility and advanced notice are key! The more time you have available, the more volunteer opportunities available.
- Youth volunteers have talents agencies may not think about. Make sure to tell the agency your skills!
- If you're under the age of 15, you will most likely need a parent or chaperone to volunteer with you. Make sure you know their availability before you inquire about a volunteer opportunity.
Hear from Volunteers Created On 1/16/2018
Hear from UWLC volunteers about the rewarding experience of volunteering and making a difference in their communities.
Volunteer of the Month and Year Created On 1/16/2018
Know someone who is giving back in their community? Nominate them for a Volunteer of the Month award!
Featured Partner Created On 1/26/2018
Learn about Willamalane and upcoming volunteer opportunities that they have.
United Way of Lane County, 3171 Gateway Loop, Springfield, OR 97477